This was our first house.
All 1,080 square feet of it.
We lived in that tiny house for 5 years and remodeled every square inch of it,
from the roof all the way down to the flooring. And we did everything ourselves.
Yes, even the roof.
This is what it looked like when we bought it in 2004.
Wasn't it hideous!?
I remember the first night we slept in it. I remember thinking
We just spent a whole bunch of money on a total piece of crap.
Well five years later, after a whole LOT of DIY work
and a ton of lessons learned (mostly what NOT to do),
we sold our first little house.
Due to all of our hard work,
it sold after only 5 days on the market (in a terrible economy)!!
Thanks to our first little house, we were able to buy a much, much bigger home
to house our family of five. A home that I LOVE.
Don't get me wrong. I loved our first little house too,
but only after we put lots and lots of work into it.
Since we sold the house as soon as we finished all of the remodeling,
I never got to show off what we did.
So anyways, I thought I'd share some of the improvements
we made to our first house every now and then,
along with the lessons we learned along the way.




I hear ya! We had our first house for 8 years and I hated it too. We remodeled everything as well; paint, roof, windows, tile, hardwood, carpet, showers, toilets, carport, patio...everything! I was kind of bummed when we sold it because of all the work we put into it. But we sold to my parents, so we are still over there all the time and I know they appreciate everything we did.
ReplyDeleteI loved our first house, even though it needed a lot of cosmetic updates. We were slowly making these updates to the house, then we moved away. I miss that house, and am a little sad for it, as I have heard that after we moved out, the new owner neglected it. Then they sold to an old man that lived 2 hours away, and he has eye problems, so he has actually never lived in the house. It has been sitting empty for two years. Hopefully someone buys it someday and treats it with the love and care that we treated it with.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I can't wait to see all the things that you did to your old house. It will be fun!!
Hope you have a great day! Beth. :)
We *JUST* bought our first house last spring and have at least a million lessons to be learned! Can't wait to see your projects--past and present!
ReplyDelete